Thursday, September 15, 2005

Journalists as entrepreneurs

I've been talking for awhile about the competitive threat that B2B publishers face from their own staff. As I've said here and here and here, the tools of citizen journalism enable everyone to be a publisher. A journalist no longer needs a middleman to communicate with an audience.
And it looks like at least one major player in media shares my belief.
According to a post on the ASBPE Boston Blog, Tony Silber, editor and publisher of Folio magazine quoted me in a recent speech in which he predicted that entrepreneurship will be the next publishing trend. (Thanks Tony!)
Now the simple truth is that there are lots of people in this industry who don't listen to me. And that's fine. Not that I'm ever wrong. But on very, very, very rare occasions, I've been less than fully correct.
But not listening to what Tony has to say would be a move of remarkable stupidity. So my guess is that business-to-business publishers may now start to pay more attention to what citizen journalism means for them.

tags: , , , , , ,

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link back. I hope editors in New England will come to see Tony speak at our chapter meeting Sept. 22 (next Thursday). As far as I know, it's his only planned speaking engagement in New England for the foreseeable future. Info on the event is here.

    Martha Spizziri
    Vice President, Boston/New England Chapter
    American Society of Business Publication Editors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martha,
    I wish I could make that meeting. But I'll be stuck in Brooklyn all next week. I hope you guys post something on your blog about his remarks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul,
    I know you're on break, but I thought this fellow might be relevant example of this concept from the agricultural trade press industry.
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Matt,
    I'm back from vacation and trying to get caught up on comments and email.
    Thanks for the link to Harry Siemens' blog. There's no doubt -- he's a good example of an established B2B journalist becoming a standalone journalist.
    But you're being modest. I've seen your latest work, and you too fit the bill. Readers should check out
    Matt's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul,
    You flatter me, but I still have a long ways to go...
    Thanks though,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete