Friday, September 29, 2006

Time again for change

Last year at this same time I wrote that for "reasons that I'll probably never fully understand, I still live my life on an academic calendar." I shared how each September I feel obliged somehow to start my life anew. Last September I severed ties with one client and increased my work with another. I also took my love on a vacation in the Northeast. "It's September," I wrote, "when my year starts, and I'll begin anew in the mountains of New England."

When I wrote that, I could not have imagined just how much my life was about to change. Nine months later, my daughter was born.

And now it's September again. The leaves are changing, and so am I.
A few months ago I began writing a column for min B2B, the newsletter published by Access Intelligence. It was a good opportunity, and the money wasn't half-bad. But I've ended my relationship with the publication. My last piece will appear next week.
But when one door closes, another opens. I've been asked to help launch an online news service related to nonprofit businesses. I'll share details here during the next few months. But suffice it to say for now that I'm excited.

So I begin a new year, full of hope and gratitude and anticipation.
I don't expect that this year will bring change quite as dramatic as last year, but I've learned to expect the unexpected.

tags: , , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

  1. Paul - Congratulations on the new project! I am much like you - all year is simply a build-up to September. I still buy new clothes for "the start of school" that never happens each year!
    - Dan Blank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan,
    Thanks.
    And it looks like we're not alone in this. Take a look at this piece in the NY Times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your decision, Paul...

    my "year" happens at the beginning of July...it was July of '05 that I walked away from the half-measure of working a "real" job while trying to write and decided to write (and blog) full-time. The money may not have been all that great so far, but I've been given some amazing opportunities and have done a lot more than I ever thought I'd ever do in one year...

    I think as we become more of who we're supposed to be (and as we get older), we discover our own rhythums and when our own "new year" begins. It's different for everyone, but when we know it, we can make the most of it. As you said, when one door closes, another opens. Sounds like you're opened a new door and are on your way to a great new experinece!

    ReplyDelete