Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Coverage of my presentation at ABM

Last week I spoke at American Business Media’s Digital Velocity conference, where I had the chance to share some of my thoughts on the next generation of journalists. If you were there, you heard me talk about what we should, and should not, be looking for when interviewing recent grads.
If you weren't there, don't worry. Folio magazine was kind enough to send a reporter. And you can read Folio's coverage of my presentation by clicking here.
And heck, even if you're not interested in what I had to say, you should still take a look at the Folio article. Because it also quotes one of my co-panelists, Jason Brightman. And in the less than a year that I've known Jason, I've come to believe he's one of the smartest guys in our industry.

And as long as I'm talking about quotes, my ego dictates that I also point to this post, where Bryan Murley calls me a "one-man quote machine."

(Addendum: As Sara from ABM points out in a comment to this post, there's now also a video available of an interview with me from the Digital Velocity conference. Click here to take a look.

tags: , , , , , , , journalism education

2 comments:

  1. "They're gonna put me in the movies.
    They're gonna make a big star out of me."

    And the coverage continues...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul:

    As a former trade pub staffer (assistant editor at Craftrends, an ex-Primedia title), I must say it's refreshing to see a well-written blog about B2B journalism.

    I'm a little concerned, however, at the tone of the Folio piece, titled "No Web Skills, No Job," about your ABM presentation. I do hope the reason good writing skills weren't mentioned was merely due to the fact you assume candidates will already have them. Otherwise, I wouldn't care what other skills an applicant has; if they're applying for a writing job, they should be able to write! Everything else is secondary.

    Yes, I agree with you 100 percent on Web skills; all serious writers and editors should have (or be willing to learn) them. I also think anyone worthy of our vocation should first have basic writing skills.

    Please forgive me if I misunderstood the coverage of your ABM speech, as that would obviously be an issue to take up with Folio, not you.

    Keep up the good work!

    Regards,
    Mike Harbour
    Freelance writer

    ReplyDelete