Monday, July 18, 2005

Pushing ads, pulling journalism

There's an interesting piece in the Times today about a system that uses Bluetooth technology to "push" movie trailers onto cell phones. If you walk near a kiosk with the technology at a Loews theater, your cell phone will receive the ad.
I find that a little intrusive. But that doesn't mean that most people will.
What I find interesting about the technique is its potential as an editorial tool. The Loews ads are essentially a push/ad version of the pull/journalism idea that I call immersion journalism.
And although I dread the day when simply walking through the streets of New York subjects me to vibrating pagers and ringing cell phones full of geographically targeted ads, I look forward to the day when geo-targeted information and news can be summoned with a click or a phone call.

tags: , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment