Monday, February 26, 2007

And the Oscar goes to my little brother

Allow me a brief personal note today:
Congratulations to my baby brother David, who won the Oscar last night for Best Picture.
In reality, the Oscar is an honor to be shared by everyone in the cast of "The Departed." But at least in my eyes, it was David who made the movie.

His part was small. He's in one scene, sitting with "Mr. French," uttering obscenities and racial slurs. But as many of you know, "The Departed" is based loosely on the story of James "Whitey"
Bulger
and the land of my birth -- South Boston, Ma.
And David was the only Southie native in the movie. So for those of us born and raised on those streets, he gave an air of credibility to the flick.

Some of the handful of readers of this blog who know me personally know about my misspent youth and the series of connections between me, Whitey, the FBI and all things Southie. As for the rest of you, let me make the following vague, but informative comment, and then leave it at that: I have never been convicted of a felony while an adult.

And if you want to see a movie about Southie that more accurately reflects my life, check out "Good Will Hunting." I'm really very much like the stunningly attractive genius played by Matt Damon.

2 comments:

  1. According to your brother's imdb profile, he started in the soaps in '56. Very impressive! But what's with the 42-year hiatus?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Derek,
    Yikes! I'll let David know that there's a problem. His appearance as Buck the kid-rescuing truck driver on "As the World Turns," was last year.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete